The design manager title is now used quite commonly; the specific role of design manager “manager” is also quite broad depending on the industry or product to be designed, even in the construction design industry. There have also been many different job roles associated with this title.
Design management role according to the company service.
- Depending on the service industry of the company, the specific role of the design manager also varies, for example:
- – Architectural design consulting company: The design manager is the person who manages the design team/department to ensure that the project design documents meet the quality requirements and the design contract schedule.
- – Construction project management company/investor: The design manager is the person who controls the design consultancy unit, coordinates the project department, ensures design quality – schedules and design budget of the project, and controls risks and design conflicts. Also, coordinate and release designs with other departments.
- – Construction company: The design manager is the person who controls the construction design and proposes shop drawings to ensure detailed designs to execute the right ideas within the contractor’s budget.
- – Construction manufacturing company: A design manager is a person who manages prototypes and controls the manufacturing process of product prototypes in an industrially manufactured building part or component.
Within the scope of this article, I clarify the role of the project manager in the investor company or construction project development unit.
To explain why the investor unit, even though it has hired an excellent designer, also needs a design manager position to participate in project management.
The role of an architectural design manager role in project development
For the organization and operation of a company:
- The BOD will create the playing field and the rules of the game. So that the game’s laws are suitable for the size of the playing field they have, offset their strengths and weaknesses, and have good development ability.
- The project management board will organize the team playing based on set rules of the game.
Therefore, for companies with different “playgrounds” and “rules of the game,” the design management role also has various adjustments.
Most project development organizations are currently divided into two main models:
Project development model where the center is BOD
The company development process / the way of thinking of the current project development companies is more or less operating according to the old mindset.
The BOD approves all of the organizational thinking and directs direction from the CEO/BOD on important decisions.
Construction project management is more about construction project control than project development.
This brings excellent risk because the company creates products to sell, but the effects are not researched from the market; the operation of the apparatus is subjectively dependent on the BOD.
After designing and selling, I have encountered a few projects that can’t sell and have to redesign from the beginning, which costs both time and money…
Model of project development according to the market
This is a model in which BOD plays a directional role, products are developed according to the market project planning process, so design management proactively promotes its full function and value as both “management.” design project” and as “project manager in the design phase.”
The main roles:
- Shaping the project according to the approved orientation (Design Task).
- Control budget, contract, and design volume.
- Manage, coordinate, and guide the design library effectively.
- Coordinating and combining engineering disciplines, minimizing design conflicts.
- Coordinating departments in the project development management system.
- Control the progress and risks of the project during the design phases
- Build an effective management team.
Analyze the role of design management in a project management system
The construction process of large-scale projects is a complex set of tasks controlled by a strict construction management system.
With the scale of a cluster of 1000 residential units, the average construction cost is ~2,000 billion VND, requiring about 1,500 construction workers continuously for more than two years and no less than 200 experts, engineers, and supervisors throughout from project formation to handover.
The same problem appears in the project; it will be less expensive if solved early.
Once the construction phase has started, it is costly and sometimes impossible to solve the problem completely.
Some problems also have consequences for the maintenance and operation of the project in the future.
Therefore, the effective operation of the management system is an advantage that brings value to construction investment.
In the professional construction project management system chain, there are five essential parts:
01. Investment management department, project planning.
Determine investment direction, and control cash flow/project capital…
Market analysis, potential project assessment, and corresponding market product model.
02. General management of overall project development (PMD).
Control budget and cash flow.
Assess and control risks with project development.
Responsible for the BOD for the project.
03. Commercial Department:
Marketing, PR promoting products, building product brands.
Sales & after-sales, customer care.
04. Design management department.
Based on the approved design task, optimally develop the project’s design.
Control risks in the design process…
05. Construction management department.
There are also supporting departments: Legal, Contract, Estimating, Bidding, Supply, and Purchasing…
Only in the design system, there are more than ten participating subjects, including:
- Planning design, total ground.
- Technical infrastructure design.
- Consulting on environmental impact assessment, specialized works such as designing sea embankments, underground dikes…
- The architectural design of works.
- Texture design.
- Electromechanical design, telecommunications,
- Design fire protection and security systems.
- Interior design, decoration, signs.
- Landscape design.
Consulting on operation systems and building management.
- Design specialized systems such as sound, light, soundproofing, processing, and preservation area…
Each subject needs professional knowledge and good management to ensure the transparency of project design information.
However, it is necessary to have a primary discipline to coordinate the synchronous project in the right direction.
The project lead architect is often assigned to the architecture management department.
Therefore, the responsibility of the architectural design manager in the construction project is significant, similar to the right hand of the project management director.
Architectural design management, in addition to controlling the design, also has to coordinate and support other departments to shape and orient the invention in a synchronous & effective manner.
The development project process goes through many stages, the design is also regularly updated, so it needs to be released and synchronized between departments, avoiding design information differences.
These are the detailed categories: DESIGN MANAGEMENT ROLE.
Previously, when working at a design consulting unit, I was sketchy about the design management position at the investor unit.
Most of the time, I think it’s the job of checking records and drawings and going to TVTK to send documents on the correct date.
That job is the role of a design supervisor or the equivalent of a project assistant.
The process of management and coordination with design consultants also has many issues to control, arising and affecting construction, as well as managing project risks during the design phase.
Design managers must have a holistic mindset, be proactive, and capture enough information to make the right decisions.
In addition, throughout the operation of a construction project, creating motivation, team cohesion, and effective project organization development are also activities that design managers need to play a critical role with their teams.
Motivate teammates to work effectively towards the common goal of improving project quality.
The above are personal studies on the role of construction project architectural design management.
Looking forward to the comments, sharing, and feedback from colleagues.